Monday, April 17, 2017

The Paintworks

Using trains to create artwork resulted in nearly two hours of fun for my son. So simple yet so exciting!

Painting with trains.


We are totally in love with our new copy of 'Old Tracks New Tricks' by Jessica Petersen. Anything train-related is a must-have item for my son and this book is no exception. The book tells a great story as well as suggesting some really fun train-based creative play activities. My son was desperate to try the painting with trains activity.

What you need:
- large white paper (we used the IKEA roll)
- selection of washable paints
- selection of trains (we used plastic Thomas ones)

How it works:
Simply set up the trains and paints on the white paper and let your child go wild! I arranged the paints into a 'Paintworks' because my son always talks about the 'Steamworks' from Thomas the Tank Engine. I also had a copy of Old Tracks New Tricks nearby.

Driving through the paint.

My son loved making big track marks with the train wheels and he spent a long time driving through different colours to see what new colours he could make.

After lots of play this was the end result.

Best of all, after my son was finished painting he insisted that we made a 'Washworks' for his trains so the play continued for another half hour and he did all of the scrubbing too!

Cleaning his trains in the 'Washworks'.

No comments :

Post a Comment