Monday, May 8, 2017

Emoji Eggs and Mirror

Supporting toddlers in their ability to express their emotions is so important. We had a blast with these emoji eggs and emoji mirror when my son was about 2.5 yrs old.

Emoji eggs and mirror.


What you need:
- mirror
- emoji pictures stuck around the mirror using tape (I just printed these off a google search for 'emojis')
- plastic eggs with facial expressions drawn on using permanent sharpie markers
- emotion labels written on card
- egg carton

How it works:
I would class this activity as an 'invitation to express'. My son was late to develop his speech so I was trying to help him to find clear ways to express how he was feeling instead of him just getting frustrated and ending up in tears.

He enjoyed trying to copy the expressions of the emojis stuck around the mirror as well as the expressions drawn on the plastic eggs. He loved being able to see his reflection and how much his face was changing each time.


Copying the emotions on the eggs.

After that we worked together to match the word labels with the emoji eggs. One of his favourite parts this activity was then doing an emoji egg hunt. I hid the eggs and he had to find them, copy the expression in his emoji mirror and say what the emotion was before opening the egg to see if the label matched what he said. We finished off by reversing rolls and my son hiding the eggs. Only problem was that he was far too excited and couldn't keep it a secret where he had hidden them! Suffice to say my emoji egg hunt didn't last long.

No comments :

Post a Comment