Tuesday, July 2, 2019

4th July Play Dough Kit

Celebrate 4th July with this fun homemade patriotic play dough kit. You can't go wrong with play dough cupcakes!



What you need:
- red, white and blue themed homemade play dough (see below for details)
- USA cupcake cases (Party City)
- red, silver and blue pipe cleaners and candles
- mini USA toothpick flags (Party City)
- USA themed confetti (Party City)
- IKEA GLIS container with lid
- IKEA SMULA tray
- container or Ziploc bags to store the play dough in for future use



My kids are loving play dough kits at the moment. They are able to enjoy such creative and relatively mess-free play, both independently and together. This patriotic themed cupcake kit has been used so much! Here's all the details...

To make the sparkly red, sparkly blue and starry white play doughs, I followed the best scented no-cook play dough recipe by Mama Papa Bubba. To add the red and blue color I used cherry and blue raspberry Kool Aid, it smelt so good! And to add the sparkles and stars I simply flattened the dough, added the extras and then rolled it up and kneaded it altogether. Make sure you read Mama Papa Baba's recipe and tips for storage, she's a play dough genius!



5 year old big bro was the first one to test out this kit and he LOVED it! He labelled each color play dough with a flavor and role played opening up his own cupcake shop.



I chose not to include any tools in the kit simply because I think it encourages more hands-on manipulating of the dough. This is great for developing hands muscles, and also for encouraging being confident when handling sensory materials.



Whenever I make a play dough kit I try to make sure that there are plenty of interesting loose parts so that it encourages my kids to have the confidence to explore and experiment when they are creating.



I loved watching my son delicately decorating each cupcake like it was a million dollar masterpiece. His creativity blew me away!



It was also funny to watch him hosting his own 'USA Birthday Party'. He even blew out the candles!



The best thing about a play dough kit like this is that it can be re-used over and over for hours of creative play. Simply rinse off and loose parts, and store the dough in Ziploc bags in the container. This is one of my favorite quiet time activities!


No comments :

Post a Comment