Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Foam Freight Train

Foam is such a great material for bath time play and this particular activity was a real hit as it related to one of my son's favourite books...... Freight Train.

Foam Freight Train.

What you need:
- black, purple, blue, green, yellow, orange and red foam (I hand drew and cut out the train)
- scissors
- a copy of 'Freight Train' by Donald Crews
- a bath filled with water (or you could just do the activity on a window)

How it works:
I surprised my son by telling him that the Freight Train had crashed into his bath. He went running into the bathroom and, as you can see from the picture, he was so excited!

The set up of the activity in the bath tub.

Once in the tub, my son experimented with building the train in the water and then he realised that the wet foam stuck to the bathroom tiles. He immediately started to lay down the tracks and build the train in the correct order. I had propped up a copy of the book at a safe distance for him to refer to.

Carefully sticking the carriages on the tracks.

As he built his Freight Train he told me the colour of the carriage and the type of the carriage. He enjoyed guessing what he thought was inside each carriage as well.

His completed foam Freight Train.

The great thing about foam bath activities are that they can be dried off and used over and over.

No comments :

Post a Comment