Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Felt Travel Train Set

Another train-themed activity for my little train addict. This time a train small world made out of felt and it all folds up into a small container so we can take it out and about.

Felt travel train set.

What you need:
- felt (one large piece as the base and a selection of greens, browns, blues and grey for the scenery parts)
- small wood sticks (I left some full length and cut some in half to build the tracks)
- Toobs trains (although any type of small trains would work)
- a container to store it all in and make it easily portable

Travel train set ready for action in the container.


How it works:
I am always on the look out for activities to take with us to entertain my son when we are out for meals, appointments, travelling or visiting friends. I thought I would have a go at making my own little travel train set for him as trains are his true love in life.


I simply used the large piece of green felt as the base and then cut up ponds, grassy patches, dirt, rocks and logs from the other smaller pieces of felt. Felt is so versatile as it can be arranged however you like and doesn't require any glue.


My son loved emptying out the contents of the container and building the background scenery. Then he carefully lined up his trains (this was done with extreme precision and care!!) before using the wooden sticks to start building a track.


Setting out the scenery.
Building his track.

'Best activity ever Mummy!!'.

My son was so excited by the whole activity. He thought it was great getting to decide the layout of his train scenery and especially loved the process of building a wooden track. I was impressed with his patience as the wooden sticks were quite fiddly to work with. He was determined to build a full track though!

Once he was happy with his play scene he started to experiment building tracks in other places. He enjoyed testing the width of the track against the width of the various trains and carriages. He also made a train station to park the trains in.

Big concentration!

Train station.

The great thing about this activity is that it can be packed up and used over and over again. I also like the way it encouraged my son to use his imagination to create different environments within the small world.

No comments :

Post a Comment