Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Rolling Pin Rainbow

Using a rolling pin to create a beautifully bright rainbow is the perfect way to brighten up a dreary afternoon at home.

Rolling pin rainbow.

What you need:
- acrylic paints that represent the colours of the rainbow
- white paper or card
- a rolling pin

Materials required.

How it works:
Put a small blob of each colour of paint in the order of the rainbow. Put the paint all the way over to the left of the page and make sure that they match up to the width of the rolling pin.

The set up.

I told my son that if he 'drove' the rolling pin over the paint a magical rainbow would appear (everything in my son's world has to refer to vehicles!!).

Making the rainbow.

At first my son pushed the rolling pin instead of holding onto it. This still made a nice rainbow but it left lots of gaps. He soon realised that he had to hold on and push down to get a bright and bold rainbow.

"Wait Mummy I have an idea....."
Of course my son was not happy with just a rolling pin rainbow, he needed a monster truck rainbow too. So off he went to get a monster truck. First of all he drove it through his rolling pin rainbow and told me which colours the wheels were squashing.

Squashing the rainbow with his monster truck.

 Then he put blobs of rainbow paint all over a fresh piece of white card and made 'rainbow monster tracks'. I love it when he has his own ideas for how to extend an activity.

Adding blobs of paint in rainbow colours.

Making rainbow monster tracks.

Time for a monster truck wash!

No comments :

Post a Comment