Monday, April 4, 2016

Word Pegs

A simple fine motor activity to promote letter recognition and word formation. To engage my son I chose an 'on the go' theme. We did this when my son was aged just over 2 years old.

The set up.

What you need:
- wooden pegs
- popsicle sticks
- permanent marker
- stickers that match your theme
- a tray (I used a travel themed tray)
- selection of toys to match your themed words (for us that was a bike, plane, truck, boat and car)

The activity:
I asked my son to choose his favourite vehicle by looking at the stickers on the popsicle sticks. My son's speech was limited so it was a case of focusing on lots of word and letter repetition by me and asking my son to try and match the letter pegs to the word and attach them to the popsicle stick. Older or more verbally advanced children will be able to repeat the words and letters themselves. After my son had attached the letter pegs onto the popsicle in the correct order he then had to match the toy to the word. 

As I say this activity was a little limited due to my son not being able to say the words or letters but he really enjoyed using the pegs and I'm sure the exposure to hearing the words and looking at the letters will have supported his speech development.

Attaching the letter pegs for car.
Proud of his completed words.
Toys matched to the words.

No comments :

Post a Comment