Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Little Love Monsters

Talking about emotions is so important with kids. One of our favourite books to help us do this is 'Love Monster' by Rachel Bright. Enjoy some fun crafting and meaningful discussions with this activity.

Two Little Love Monsters

What you need:
- Love Monster book by Rachel Bright
- pink and red card
- large craft sticks
- black card
- googly eyes
- heart stickers
- pink, red and white foam
- scissors
- glue stick and E6000 craft glue for foam toe nails

The set up.
How it works:
As my kids are relatively young, 4 and 10 months, it was easier to spend a bit of time prepping certain parts of the activity myself. I cut out a pink and red card monster head, along with the black eyebrows and mouth, and white teeth. I presented these, along with the googly eyes and heart stickers, in a chip tray. 

On the table I also put the foam monster feet that I had made. These were surprisingly quick and easy to make. I cut out a rough foot shape with spiked toes and then added a kidney shaped hole. I used E6000 craft glue to stick on the white foam toe nails.
Foam monster feet.

Once these few bits were prepped, the kids were let lose! My son thought the monster feet were hilarious and of course baby sister was just grabbing at everything. Big bro set to work adding the facial features to his Love Monster. I worked on baby sis' monster while she adorably tried to copy big bro's gluing action.
Creating their Love Monster masks.

I tried not to give my son much direction on how to put together his monster. It was nice to see him interpreting the character for himself. He decided to add his monster's heart as the nose!
Adding the heart to his Love Monster.

Once the masks were ready I used the E6000 craft glue to attach them to a large craft stick. We set them aside to let them dry. Now it was time to try out the monster feet. These slipped on really easily, and surprisingly even baby sister liked wearing them! The foam means that they are nice and flexible as the kids move around.
Baby sis modeling her monster feet.

Waiting for her mask to be ready.

After half an hour, the masks were ready..... and the monster feet were still on! My 4 year old loved acting out the Love Monster story as we read through the book again. Baby sister was just happy exploring her new accessories!
Mr Love Monster!
Ready to act out the story.
We love combining books and crafts! It really supports creative play and encourages kids to apply their imaginations.

No comments :

Post a Comment