Monday, October 17, 2016

Glow in the Dark Number Hunt

Glow in the dark paint has been a huge hit in our household. For this activity we used it for number recognition by doing a glow in the dark number hunt.

Numbers painted on white card.

What you need:
- glow in the dark paint
- paintbrush
- white card cut into approx. A5 size
- white tac
- torch


Step 1: Making and hiding the glowing numbers
On separate pieces of card I painted numbers 1-9 using glow in the dark paint. I used white tac to stick them up in various places around the house to create a treasure-style number hunt. Make sure your little one is hidden away in another room so that they can't cheat and peak where you have hidden the numbers.


Glowing numbers.

Step 2: The number hunt
We turned off the lights and I gave my son a torch. I explained that there were numbers 1-9 hidden around the house that he needed to try and find. He was so excited about getting to use a torch. As he found the numbers I encouraged him to pick them up and put them on the floor in the living room. Once he had a few I asked him to sort them into the correct order number line. This then enabled my son to pick out which numbers he had not yet found.

After he had finished he insisted on reversing roles. He loved hiding the numbers around the house and making me try to find them. The only problem was that he couldn't contain his excitement and always blurted out where they were hidden! 

Creating his number line.
His completed number line.

No comments :

Post a Comment